Friday, January 3, 2014

30 Sighthounds in 30 Days - Day 3


Day 3 - Greyhound
6 x 6 inch oil on panel
© 2014 Kathleen Coy
SOLD

The beautiful, smiling girl in today's painting is Ava, and is a great example of why I'm pretty picky about what photos I will work from when painting pets. This reference photo had it all: taken outdoors in natural light, no flash to wash out the shadows or mess with the eyes, the photo clear and in focus, and of course the fabulous pose. I'm extremely happy with this painting, counting it among my person favorites.

8 comments:

Megan Hasenbeck said...

This is beautiful!!! I love everything about it.

Sally Dean said...

This is fantastic! So good!

Lydia (Killebrew) Jechorek said...

As always great job. I really love the way the dark green makes him pop.

Unknown said...

Love the happy expression on this greyhound!

Kathleen Coy said...

Thanks ladies, for the lovely comments!

Cindy D. said...

Who doesn't love a smiling dog! She looks extra happy, in fact. Wonderful work!

Unknown said...

Oh Kathleen, I LOOOVE this!!! Beautiful!!

Taffy said...

Ava is beautiful! You always know how to pick the best photos for your paintings.