Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chili Pumpkin Seeds

Chili pumpkin seeds

I've been craving pumpkin seeds lately and made this batch of chili seeds yesterday. It was so easy, first I soaked fresh pumpkin seeds in a brine of 1 tablespoon of salt to about a cup and a half of water overnight. The brine soak makes them 'just right' salty, and softens the hulls so after you bake them they are easy to eat - no peeling! Then I drained and patted them dry and tossed them with a mixture of melted butter and chili powder. Then spread out in a glass baking pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Oh, they are so good! I've been buying pie pumpkins like crazy for the seeds and to make pumpkin puree for stews and Thai curries.

Speaking of curry, last week I made Curried Pumpkin Seeds - Melt a tablespoon or two of butter in a skillet and add some finely minced garlic and a tablespoon of curry powder. Saute for a minute or so, then toss with your brine-soaked and towel dried pumpkin seeds. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for half hour. So good! I'll be making these again for sure!

4 comments:

fluffnflowers said...

Oh yum! I've never had 'interesting' pumpkin seeds, but I'm definitely going to have to try some of your ideas out.

Michele Reed said...

ohhh...definitely going to have to try this one. halloween night is NOT COMPLETE until i do up the pumpkin seeds!

Kathleen Coy said...

Let me know how they turn out!

gtyyup said...

Kathleen, John and I can't stop eating our Chili Pumpkin Seeds!!! So simple and so good...thanks for the inspiration! Ok, where can we get the raw seeds without buying the whole pumpkin!!! LOL~~Karen