Monday, May 21, 2007

White Garter Snake

We have a white garter snake living in our garage. She’s been with us for at least three years now. Sometimes we go for months at a time without seeing her, so I’m always happy when someone catches a glimpse of her, to know that she is still blessing us with her presence. I've been told that she is very auspicious, and that she is a powerful totem, like the white buffalo. Snake symbolizes rebirth (shedding its skin,) kundalini (sexual/creative life force,) the cycles of life and eternity (ouroborus – ancient image of a snake swallowing its own tail.)

We never harm the snakes in our yard. They startle me sometimes, but I’m never afraid of them. Garter snakes have always seemed so pretty to me, with their stripes and cute little faces. I am so very honored to have her here!

Here are a few photos I’ve taken of her...

Last year, in the garage:

Not sure what's going on here. Mating? The other snakes were all around her. This was witnessed several times within a few weeks:


Sunday May 12th, 2007. I've only seen her outside in the daylight one other time, three years ago. Isn't she beautiful!!!

No comments: