Friday, August 12, 2011

Brahman Bull Painting

Beyond Measure
30 x 30 inch, oil on canvas
© 2011 Kathleen Coy

My largest studio painting to date. I got some good photos of this bull standing in a field when I was in Oklahoma earlier this year. I was in complete awe of not only his massive size and strength, but also of the equal measure of dignity that went along with it. This painting represents more to me than just a painting of a beautiful animal. I titled it, Beyond Measure, after the opening line from Marianne Williamson's Our Deepest Fear:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

I love the way animals never question their own existence the way humans do, and I love the way they're always true to themselves. I love the way animals exemplify qualities I admire, such as courage, strength, and living in the now. As this bull looked over the fence at me, he seemed to be saying, "I am worthy simply because I am here, on this Earth, in this moment. And so are you..."

If you're interested in watching this painting come together, I put together a video of the process. I hope you enjoy it!



In other news, I'm having an opening reception tomorrow, Saturday the 13th, from 1 - 5 pm at the Corning Fine Arts Center. If you're anywhere in the area, I hope you can stop by! http://www.corningfinearts.com/

12 comments:

Julia Guthrie said...

I love reading the inspiration behind this painting. The word dignity came to mind before I even read it :)

It's an awesome painting! xx

Michael Wilson said...

Enjoyed reading why you chose this subject and watching the video. The bull certainly engages you!

Maxmom said...

Dear Kathleen,
As with all your paintings, this bull is truly incredible! You have a God-given gift!
I would love to know what you would make of our elephants...
We have an elephant sanctuary, just outside Johannesburg, where you can get up real close and personal, including putting your hand in their mouth, taking them for a walk - trunk in hand - and getting a 'kiss' from them. Their deep rumble (their form of communication) is quite surreal. I hope, one day, you will be able to visit and experience them. I know you will be touched.
Good luck with your exhibition. I so wish I was there.
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA

Kathleen Coy said...

Julia, Michael, and Maxmom, thank you so much!

Maxmom: Your elephant sanctuary sounds amazing! They would never let people get 'up close and personal' like that in the US, I'm afraid... too many liability and (I'm sure they would say) safety issues. I would love to come visit them one day!!

Thanks again!
Kathleen

Jennifer MacNeill said...

This painting is amazing! I love it!

hypnotism techniques said...

What a wonderful inspiration in crafting your bull masterpiece!

Josie said...

Kathleen, you rock girlfriend. I actually bought two sketch pads today. Hopefully I will use them. Just wanted to stop by and let you know I am still alive...LOL...Love you, MB, Josie and Blues.

apicassoinmykitchen said...

I love this bull expression, full of peace I never find in humans. Congatulations from Spain.

Debi Fitzgerald said...

Beautiful work! I have really enjoyed your blog!

~°schuenga°~ said...

Liebe Kathleen
Hier bei Dir habe ich wieder einmal einen wunderschönen Blog gefunden und werde nun öfter einmal vorbei schauen.
Ich bewundere Deine Malerei.
Ganz lieben Gruß
Angela

Joani said...

He's beautiful!

Papillonne said...

Really wonderfull !