Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bittersweet works in progress

I was contacted by a fellow blogger about portraits of two of her Abyssinian cats who had passed away - Sen-Chan in 2009, and very recently, her beloved Yuu-Chan.

The portraits are both 12 x 12 inches, oil on canvas. I've started with a monochromatic underpainting. This is Sen-Chan:


And this is Yuu-Chan:


I'm blocking in the color on Yuu-Chan in this photo. Once that's finished, I'll go back and refine and add detail. Still lots of work to do. I love the colors, and the backlit ears:



I'm honored to be chosen to paint these two gorgeous, and very loved companions. I love being able to create art that has such meaning for someone, art that brings a smile and helps to ease the pain of loss. I know that the portrait I painted of my dog Benny has been a great comfort to me since he passed last year.

Her blog is called The Poupounette and it's one of the most charming blogs I've ever read. When I have time, I plan to go back and read it through to the very beginning.

Stay tuned for more progress on the portraits...
Until then,

Much love,

11 comments:

Chris Wolfgang said...

Loving the color of the light in the last image. Very mysterious.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

They are going to be beautiful Kathleen! You are captured their very soul and I know the portraits will be a great comfort to their owner.

I have yet to tackle portraits of those of mine who have passed on, still too painful. One day.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I just KNEW they would be awesome!

When Virginia wrote me she had commissioned you to do this, I couldn't wait to see the finished works!

I'm sure both of you are looking forward to the delivery too!

L.Holm said...

They're beautiful, Kathleen. wonderful work.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We are very excited here at The Poupounette! We know that both Sen-Chan and Yuu-Chan, the sweetest boys ever, will live again through these wonderful portraits.

Everyone at
The Poupounette

Scout and Freyja said...

We know them well and have mourned their loss' along with them. Some of our furry furends leave us way too soon. We know that you will do a splendid job!

Maxmom said...

Oh Kathleen...this is exciting!!
#1 is going to be very, very happy!
They are looking stunning already...but I wouldn't expect otherwise...you are amazing.

"Maxdog" looks at me constantly and I wish I could tell you how incredible it feels to be able to look into his eyes daily. Strangely each time is different too.
I think I will thank you forever!!!
C

AutumnBoy said...

Kathleen, as always I am sure these are going to be dazzling, i patiently wait to see your WIP progress

pearl said...

Fantastic! YOu've got the talent:-)

Beth Smith said...

I love your art. I also love the cat pictures. Keep up the good work!

Dean Grey said...

These are looking good already!

-Dean