Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Turkey Skull Study, and a trip to South Dakota


Turkey Skull Study, 6 x 6 inch oil on panel.
© 2013 Kathleen Coy

Painted from life. I find skulls to be beautiful - a reminder that we are more than what we see as our physical bodies, and that our time in these bodies is limited. They are a great study tool as well, if you have an interest in anatomy. 

We took our first trip to South Dakota last month, visiting the Badlands and staying in Custer State Park. I fell in love with the landscape, and all the critters. Took lots of photos of bison, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, and elk. Can't wait to paint them! Here are a few photos from the trip:










3 comments:

Taffy said...

Hi, Kathleen! Those are beautiful photos. I hope you and Cloud are doing great. After we lost Twix, we stopped blogging for a couple of years but have just started again and I was glad to see a post from you.

Just last week I was trying to show someone at work one of your paintings but I can't find it on your website any longer. It was the one of the fawn curled up in the grass. That was one of my favorites...other than the one you made for us of Twix, of course.

I hope you had a great Wednesday!
Teresa and Taffy

Kathleen Coy said...

Hi Teresa, nice to hear from you! So glad you're blogging again. Taffy sure is a cutie!! I took my older acrylic work off my website, which is why you didn't see it - my style has changed over the years, and you gotta keep things fresh. :-)
Thanks so much for the note!
Kathleen and Cloud

Karl S said...

Just wanted to say great blog and that I want to go to that park !
Any old clothes and be yourself , sounds great