Thursday, May 17, 2007

Backyard Royalty

Since I'm in between paintings right now, I thought I would post the story and photos of an older piece.

A few years ago, this handsome fellow came to visit me when I was in the front yard planting flowers. He proceeded to make himself at home, rather acting as if he owned the place. I asked him to stay while I got my camera, for he was just too perfect not to photograph. He struck a few haughty poses while I snapped some photos. When I saw this one, I knew I had to paint it:


Here are a few in-progress photos. Yes, I have dandelions in my yard...






Finally done! This last picture is from my scanner, which is why the colors are different. The final painting is more vivid than the scan, with the colors being closer to the WIP photos.


I've had so many comments on this one - a lot of people think it's a photograph when they first see it. After the many, many, MANY hours spent painting the grass, I'm sure I have a bit of a pained look as I assure them that it is indeed an original painting! It was an exercise in patience to be sure. Hope you enjoyed looking at it.

No comments: